Tuesday, July 1, 2008

apple cheddar scones

I finally gathered all the ingredients to prepare these scones! I started with fresh apples because I couldn't find the dried apples called for in the recipe. I forgot the apple juice/cider so it was back to the store today.
I couldn't take pictures because the battery in my camera died! It was a day full of DOH! moments. I will post a picture later in the week. I've frozen the bulk of the recipe to take down to Clementine's Dry Goods on Thursday. Muh knittahs are gathering and you know we need sustenance.
I will say, as a girl who came from the pacific northwest where the Western Washington (aka Puyallup) Fair was held, these scones weren't all bad. If you're at all familiar with the Puyallup Fair, you know scones.
It's been interesting living in different geographical locations, to see the fair fare different states offer. In Indiana, it's all corn. In western Washington is all about the scones. As a kid, your summer job included the scone booth. As a fair goer, your first stop (after the burger with grilled onions booth) was the scone booth.
So you can see the competition Dorie's scones had to meet. And they're not bad. With sweetened butter they're quite tasty. I think I'd even make them again.
Happy Tuesday!

9 comments:

Prudy said...

Sorry about your camera but they sound lovely!

Unknown said...

OMG!!! I haven't thought about the Puyallup Fair in FOREVER!!. If memory service the burgers in question were called Earthquake burgers. Weren't they like 5 pounds each?

Engineer Baker said...

Scone booth? Seriously? Sign me up! Growing up in Indiana = corn all the time, but I could have done with some scones.

allison said...

A scone booth sounds great. I grew up at the MN state fair and had everything on a stick.

Thimbleanna said...

Melleeeee! You need to give me a scone lesson! I see them everywhere, but I don't know that I've really ever had a great one -- or rather, would I know that it was great??? Finally caught up with you -- you've been sewing up a storm! Cute bloomers and fabulous sock bag!!! You're so lucky to be able to just run over to Cami's!

Dolores said...

Scones as fair food. Sounds great to me. "On a stick" seems to be the trend of the moment here in California. I'll take scones. Or corn. :)

Glad you got to participate in this week's assignment.

Bungalow Barbara said...

My sister lives in Puyallup, I'll have to ask her about the scones at the fair!

My favorite foods at the Dane County fair -- cream puffs and pork sandwiches (the latter from the Pork Producers Council booth). I don't go to the Wisconsin State Fair all that often, but favorite food there -- cream puffs and roasted corn on the cob.

Liliana said...

Wow, a scone booth! It sounds like quite some fair!

Unknown said...

Melly - I had no idea you grew up here! If you come back to vacation - let me know. Want me to ship you a package of the fair scone mix? You can buy it at every grocery store in town. g