Baked French Toast
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture.
Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
The texture of this is pretty loose. I think you could get by with less liquid if you wanted a firmer toast. I cook it a little longer too - that helps. It's not for everyone (Lisa B.) but that's ok. More for me!