Tuesday, August 19, 2008

while at the market

I went to the market to gather the fixin's for a steak dinner the other night and the first thing on my list was wine. It'd been a while since I had a good bottle so I was on a mission. My grocery store has quite a good selection so my choices were many.

I decided on an old favorite - Robert Mondavi. I really enjoy both his cabernet and merlot. With the nice porterhouses I selected I went for the bold cab. But then I turned and saw what I call the step-children of wines - the blends. My eye was immediately drawn to this label. I knew it was coming home with me.

Bottled by Montevina Winery in California, Wild Bunch is a blend of Zinfandel, Syrah and Barbera. I thought I'd like it since I'm a big red girl. And like it I did! I love the label too. But the best part is trying a new wine and finding yet another good choice to add to my list. If you have the opportunity to go wild I don't think you'll be disappointed. I never am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an amazing label! it kind of looks like a biker tattoo. if only i could still drink big reds; i crossed some kind of age line and now they just make me sick and give me headaches. WHAT A LOSS. whites are ok, i suppose, but nothing replaces a big old red. enjoy a glass for me!

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha, picking a wine by it's bottle -- excellent choice! It looks like a perfect fit!

Anonymous said...

Montevina is owned by Sutter Home and I have to tell you, I am a loyal wine club customer of theirs. They make some Italian varietals and they are stupendous and so cheap. My favorites are their Barbera and Aglianico...they are awesome...join their wine club, you'll see.

camillaknits said...

dammit, woman, post something! I misses you muchly.