Friday, May 16, 2008

you know it's bad if I can't even knit

This isn't my actual back but it's a pretty good representation of what's happening in my world right now. Five years ago I ruptured two disks in my back and every now and then it rears it's ugly head. It's rearing now and it's ugly. I haven't been able to knit all week! (funny how that's what I mention, huh? I really am a capitol K knitter!) I did knit a few rows on my heel flap today. It was sheer bliss.

I'm seeing a physical terrorist twice a week and so far it's been good - some nice, gentle massaging but as soon as I'm not in so much pain I know she's gonna bring out the big guns. The pain is bad. Way bad. Today I started a course of steroids and some stronger pain meds. We're hoping the steroids will cut the inflammation enough to allow that disk material to ease back in to place. I'm pretty much a worthless, movie watching lump and I hate it! Ashley came over today and helped with some household chores and drove me to Target for some groceries while Ken did some work around here. I drove one of those electric carts at Target. Can I get a DUI on one of those things? It was pretty funny.

So, that's what's happening in my neck of the woods. Oozing disk material and LOTS of pain medicine. It wouldn't be all bad except for that no knitting thing. They need to fix me and be quick about it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I ,in any way, want you to be in pain - but it is so comforting to hear someone understand why we can't get more knitting done. I've thought that people might be wondering "why she doesn't get more done, she doesn't work anymore, she could at least knit like a fiend". Intense pain interferes with the ability to think clearly and productively! And then you put the meds on top and you've pretty much got a femalish slug with no motivation. The dreams of getting lots of knitting are there (sort of Rhoda-like knitting production - in a good sense). But alot of the time - it ain't gonna happen. Enough of my thoughts - I'm hoping PT helps - ahh, I can feel those hands softly rubbing my lower back. And the kids helping out around the house is wonderful - you have taken care of them all of their life and now it's time for them to lovingly take care of mama. I haven't tried the go-cart in Target but it sounds fun.
Hopefully you don't have to stay away from the "shop down south" much longer. Take care of you and let me know if there is anything I can do ... Good back karma thoughts for you, Robin

Anonymous said...

(sp) Rhonda not Rhoda - fingers not working.

Anonymous said...

Gah. Sorry to hear it is acting up again Melly... sending loads of good thoughts your way. I almost wonder if pain being in full swing is in the air this month... hope you feel better soon...

LotusKnits said...

Damn girl, I have back issues too but you're making me squirm. I feel ya...well, no I don't but I have an excellent imagination. Sending you healing vibes and lots of knitting mojo.

*gentle hugs*