Tuesday, February 26, 2008

recipes and ramblings

You know my mom was a down-home, simple kind of cook. This was a favorite dish of mine when I was a kid. You can also do this to pork chops.

Dip chicken parts in seasoned flour. I happened to have thighs in the freezer. Fry in shortening till golden. Place in baking dish:

You know I sampled a smackerel of skin. mmmmm

Drain off most of the fat from the frying pan. Sprinkle a few hearty tablespoons of the left over seasoned flour into the drippings and stir till all the grease is sopped up.

Over medium heat, add milk, a little at a time, whisking and getting all the crusty bits off the bottom of the pan till you have a good looking gravy. Add a can of cream of chicken soup. Mom always used cream of mushroom and to be honest, it tastes better but there's only one thing I can sneak cream of mushroom soup into and that's my meatloaf.

Stir till the soup is fully incorporated and the gravy is nicely thickened:

Pour over chicken parts, cover and bake at 375° till chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender.

This is man-pleasin' food to be sure. On to the ramblings. . .

The new sweater is coming along nicely. I'm preparing to join the second skein of yarn tonight. I did have to stop knitting to prepare food. Fuel for more knitting, ya know. I found a great finishing technique on ravelry. The link only works if you're a member of Ravelry. If you're not a member, shame on you. It's still a super-secret club, not open to the public so you'll have to wait till you're a member. You are on the waiting list right? I love how she finished her sweater and I think I'll copy.

And this is love, let me tell you: Ken is going to the fabric store to pick up some needles for me! I had 5's, I had 8's through 11's but no size 7. Of course, I've called ahead and they're holding them at the cutting counter but still - he has to go into a fabric store and say, "You're holding some needles for me?" -lol- I wish I could be there to see it. Just imagining it makes me giggle. Maybe you have to know my husband. Nope. Think of yours doing the same thing. Still funny. Next time I whine about him, remind me of this, okay?

I had a rant but I think I'll save it for another day. To get you thinking though, I'm forming a new society: cruelty against hand-knit wool. Or maybe a hand-knit wool protection agency. Like CPS? HKWPS. Get your picket signs ready.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Ok, this looks suspiciously like something that could cause a heart attack -- but what a heart attack -- Yum o yum! Thanks for sharing! And I'm big-sighing over ravelry. I got an invite a month ago and the link was dead. I sent them an e-mail but they never answered and I'm so addicted to blogcrack I can't stop long enough to follow up!

Tallulah said...

I think I about squeeled when I got my invite -grins- and this recipe is going on my shopping list... with mushroom soup... gods the best of both worlds...fried AND sauced.