Wednesday, April 23, 2008

volunteering

My days at the nursing home just keep getting better and better.
There's Ben who's face lights up when he sees my Sadie girl. I asked if he had dogs and his reply was, "Oh yes." When I asked what kind he said, "any kind." So sweet.

Then there's Johnny who is pretty young but riddled with CP. He sort of follows me around and keeps an eye out for certain residents who enjoy visiting with Sadie. He's just full of smiles.

Mrs. Smithson who came with her husband two years ago (he passed away last year) is a bit surly but comes out of her shell more and more each visit. Yesterday I got her talking about her kids and I almost couldn't get out of there. She was just dozing in her chair when I first got there but after talking to me she got out of her room and went visiting. Made me feel like I'd done something good for her.

Miss Rita doesn't remember Sadie from week to week but always exclaims, "Oh my, isn't that a pretty dog." She's always dressed to the nines with hair and makeup done, jewelry hanging everywhere. She's almost 90. :)

Mrs. Jones has Alzheimers, I'm afraid, but it's so good to watch her brow unfurl as I talk to her, calming her down, assuring her she's just where she should be. She always mentions her husband. Some things never fade no matter how ravaging a disease. That's good.

Joe in the snack shop knows just where to scratch Sadie to get her back leg going. I'm not sure if she likes it or not - it looks almost painful it feels so good. :)

Miss Tony is my favorite. She has such a sweet spirit and thanks me every time I come in for letting her pet Sadie. No, I want to say. Thank YOU.

It's some of the best stuff I've ever done. If you can find an hour, the return is SO good.
Thanks Cami. You know me so well.


3 comments:

Les said...

I love my older folks and now you know why....I'm glad you're having such a good experience!

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

It sounds like this has been a great experience for you and everyone you are meeting.

Unknown said...

I think this might be my favorite Melly-post... ever.