Sunday, July 27, 2008

Humpigs

This is a new feeder this year. The syrup solution I had was not new. I happily filled the new feeder with the old solution and waitied for the hummers to come. They'd come and sniff around but never eat. Seems these little birds are picky eaters. Or not. What they really seem to like is a simple syrup of sugar and water in a one to two ratio. Boil till the sugar dissolves and cool. Cami said I have to credit her with the recipe. Whatever. ;)

Today when I told her I now have three females constantly eating at my feeder since I changed from that icky red stuff to her recipe she simply said, "You're welcome." :)

Thanks Cami. I heart the humpigs.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy shit, Melly! It's a 3:1 ratio... you're going to have a bunch of cracked out humpigs if you don't slip 'em a little more
H2O.

Guess some of it is still squawk, huh? C

Anonymous said...

I have been using a 4:1 ratio for my humpigs. They do like it better than the red stuff for sure. I got my recipe somewhere online - lol - but it is kinda funny to find of a hopped up hummingbird! ;)

Thimbleanna said...

Ok, so what is it??? 3:1 or 2:1??? Wannabe birders wanna know! Although, I have to say, I'm sort of afraid to hop up my hummingbird offerings with those hawks lurking. Don't want to be luring them in for dinner. We haven't seen much action lately it's either the red juice or the hawks!